Gorenje, the Slovenian manufacturer famed for its creative and innovative appliances, welcomes the decision by food manufacturers to scrap use-by dates on some products, as reported in the Sunday Times¹.
Around £10 billion worth of food is dumped every year, and it is estimated that each household throws away £400 of food a year, with many consumers disposing of meals, drinks, and fruit and vegetables that are still fit to eat. By removing use-by dates, it is hoped that some of this waste will be cut down, with consumers keeping food for longer.
In order to prevent unnecessary food wastage, it is vital that the consumer’s fridge can maintain perishable items at optimum condition for as long as possible. Gorenje’s wide range of built-in and freestanding refrigeration appliances offers a variety of features specifically designed with this in mind, including:
- Zero ‘n’ Fresh compartment – the sensor-controlled temperature is maintained at about 0°C in the Zero ‘n’ Fresh pull-out drawer. This provides an ideal environment for storing perishables, locking in and preserving their freshness for longer.
- Multiple system circulates chilled air evenly around the storage areas, keeping the temperature constant, while the Cold Shower system (CSS™) maintains the temperature at about 0°C. Chilled air then blows directly onto the Zero ‘n’ Fresh compartment, cooling newly stored items much faster and more efficiently that conventional models. As a result, the aromas and valuable nutrients in vegetables, fruit and meat products are preserved, which means food stays fresher three times longer.
- Intelligent UseLogic® technology continuously monitors, adapts and controls the temperature in the fridge and freezer sections, ensuring the correct food storage conditions while maximising energy efficiency.
- Fast-chill option rapidly reduces the refrigerator temperature, ideal for chilling large quantities of food quickly when restocking the fridge and preserving food quality
- Perfect for freezing large quantities of fresh food, the fast-freeze option operates at an extremely low temperature of -32°C, keeping frozen food in perfect condition longer than conventional freezing.
- Gorenje’s Frost Free Advantage technology circulates chilled air around the storage areas, reducing the level of humidity in the freezer while ensuring even temperature control to preserve the quality, colour and aroma of the stored food.
Gorenje’s refrigeration range also boasts excellent energy ratings, with some models featuring an incredible ‘A++’ rating. Many models also include a five-year free parts and labour guarantee for added peace of mind.
Ruth Ferguson, Marketing Manager of Gorenje, says: “Food waste is a forgotten contributor to greenhouse gases and CO² production, so Gorenje works hard to ensure that its refrigeration range helps consumers save money and protect the environment by preserving the quality of produce for as long as possible. Removing use-by dates will encourage consumers to think more before they throw food away, and so is a positive development that will benefit all.”
For a brochure or further information on Gorenje’s fantastic refrigeration range, please call Gorenje on 0208 247 3980 or visit the website at www.gorenje.co.uk to locate your nearest stockist.
Image caption: Gorenje’s refrigeration range offers a variety of features to maintain perishable items at optimum condition for as long as possible. Pictured here, Gorenje’s NRK67358E freestanding fridge freezer is ‘A+’ rated for energy and carries all the special features which have become synonymous with the Gorenje name.
29th July 2010
¹ Source: The Sunday Times, 11th July 2010
Established 60 years ago, Gorenje is one of Europe’s leading home appliance manufacturers, combining state-of-the-art technology with superior design and great value. 4.5 million Gorenje appliances are sold every year in over 70 countries. Headquartered in Slovenia, the Gorenje Group employs nearly 11,000 people around the world. With its innovative, technologically perfected, environmentally friendly and stylish products, Gorenje is aiming to become the creator of the most innovative design-led home appliances in the world.
For further information and images please contact:
Sarah at JM Marketing
Tel: 01536 414555